Sports and Games
We are fortunate on our staff to have a number of qualified and enthusiastic sports coaches so that we are able to run a comprehensive range of sports teams as well as promoting other sports, as part of our activities programme. We are always looking to develop further the range of sports we offer.
At present Prep School pupils compete against other schools in a wide range of sports and we have teams for both the Under 9 and Under 11 age ranges.
Throughout the year we have home and away fixtures for:
- Girls and Boys Football
- Cross-Country Running
Our teams are involved most weeks in fixtures against neighbouring independent schools and a number of local primary schools.
There is no shortage of opportunities for our pupils to take part in sporting challenges and fixtures. We take part and compete in a number of leagues, tournaments and sporting events that take place throughout the year, as listed below.
Sporting events throughout the year:
- The Glidden and Squire Cross-Country League
- Holsworthy High Fives Netball League
- North Devon Schools Football Tournaments at Sandymere, Northern Burrows
- West Buckland Junior Hockey Tournament
- Shebbear Junior Hockey Tournament
- North Devon Schools Gymnastics Competition
- Village Schools Football Tournament at Shebbear College
- Mixed Netball Tournament at St Joseph’s School, Launceston
- Football Tournament at West Buckland
- Girls’ Football Tournament at King’s College, Taunton
- High Fives Netball Tournament at Langtree
Our athletics programme that runs through the summer term culminates in a competitive Sports Day where the three Houses – Ruddle, Way and Thorne – compete for the Sports Day trophy.
It is our intention to develop our own programme of outward bound sports and activities for children in the Prep School. We also organise a range of inter-house sports events and competitions throughout the year.
We take advantage of the excellent facilities we have access to within the school. These include a sports hall, fitness studio, all weather pitch, tennis courts, indoor and outdoor cricket nets, dance studio and our extensive playing fields and cross-country course.
The pupils experience a varied PE programme throughout the course of the year which includes; health related fitness, FUN-damentals of movement, balance and strength, basketball, gymnastics, racket sports including badminton and tennis, team building, and athletics. It is important that children are exposed to as much variety as possible, and they enjoy working individually, in pairs or in groups. It is also an ideal time for both girls and boys to work together.
An emphasis is placed on developing interpersonal skills, as well as linking game play and problem solving to exercise pupils minds as well as their bodies.
Aims of PE and Games
- To develop a positive attitude to physical activity
- To enhance physical development and individual fitness
- To be enjoyable, challenging and purposeful
- To learn to play fairly, compete honestly, win modestly and lose gracefully
- To develop all aspects of co-ordination and skills
- To develop an awareness and use of space
- To cover basic games skills
- To allow pupils to extend themselves to a high level through county and national experiences
Shebbear College is an independent UK school, a co-educational day and boarding school for boys and girls aged 3 to 18, located in rural North Devon.